The Origins of Gaming, Where it all began.
Ever wondered how gaming began and how it started? Well let’s try find out and dive back in the day to see where it all began and the gaming journey we’ve travelled to this day.
Here are a few of the Gaming industries milestones and games released throughout the generations.
- First example of a game machine is revealed at the New York World’s fair by Dr Edward Uhler Condon.
- First electronic digital computer is built.
- Computer became commercialized in Universities, organizational and corporations.
- Alexander Douglas created OXO (noughts and crosses) for his doctoral dissertation at the University of Cambridge.
- First game known to incorporate graphics is created.
- Tennis for Two is created, the first game on an analogue computer. Designed by William Higginbotham and built by Robert Dvork.
- Space War! a space combat video game was designed and created, game with cutting-edge technology only found in universities.
- The Brown Box is created by Ralph Baer. A prototype for a multiprogram video game system.
- Atari was formed by Nolan Bushnell and Ted Dabney. They then went on to create the first “at home” gaming system called Magnavox Odyssey. The system was released with many games and was sold separately with a light gun and 6 games. The graphics were plastic overlays that were attached to the screen.
- Dungeons and Dragons was created and released by Dave Arneson and Gary Gygax and published by Tactical Studies Rules Inc.
- Gun Fight The arcade game is released, it is the first game to use a microprocessor.
- Atari released Pong.
- Atari released Atari 2600, a video game home system with multi-colored games and came with the game Empire.
- Tomohiro Nishikado created and released Space Invaders. This was put into over 60 000 arcade machines around the US.
- Magnavox created the Odyssey 2.
- Asteroids, Ataris most successful game, is released.
- Namco released Pacman and was played all over the US in 350 000 arcade machines. Pacman brought in 2 billion dollars.
- Commodore Vic-20 and 64 systems are released.
- Computer magazines made way and started being printed.
- Atari Donkey Kong is released and featured Mario in it, making Mario a well-known character.
- Atari released Atari 5200.
- The gaming industry experienced a major crash with losses of games and finance due to very unpopular and low-quality games.
- Nintendo Entertainment system is released with sales reaching 61,910,000 worldwide.
- The TurboGrafx-16 PC engine is released in Europe and Japan
- PC games became more technologically advanced and more games are being designed.
- Nintendo had published the first issue of their magazine “Nintendo Power”.
- CD-ROM drives were introduced as add-ons for the PC engine.
- Sega releases its Mega Drive/Genesis console that comes with Sonic the Hedgehog.
- Nintendo created and released the first handheld systematic device, called the Gameboy. The Gameboy made 118,690,000 in sales throughout the world.
- The market for computer games that were disk games were less than 3 million dollars whereas cartridge-based console games was a whopping 2 billion dollars.
- Nintendo created its own next-generation system called the Super Nintendo. Although it didn’t do as well as its previous console-only making 49,000,000 in sales.
- Considered 90’s to be the decade for innovation in Video gaming.
- Mortal combat was released in arcade, it is the first 2 player fighting game. It becomes very popular but parents question the violence in video games and how they could affect kids, because of this Sega then created the Videogame Rating Council which provided informational labelling and description on each game that is sold on the Sega console.
- Multiple players began gaming over networks which took off and the created the beginning of “LAN Party”.
- Atari Jaguar home console was released.
- LAN Gaming grew and the first LAN marathon was held in Macintosh.
- 3 new consoles were released in this year, Sony PlayStation, Sega Saturn and PC-FX.
- The Sony PlayStation immediately sold out and beat all of its competitors
- The first Warcraft: Orc and Humans game is released on PC, it quickly became popular.
- Nintendo releases their 3rd console called Nintendo 64, although sales weren’t as high as their previous 2 consoles. It came with Super Mario 64.
- 3dfx interactive released the first affordable 3D accelerator card used for pc, it was called the Voodoo chipset.
- Quake video game is released.
- Crash Bandicoot is released.
- Rare’s Nintendo 64 title Golden Eye 007 was released, which was the first big single-person shooter game.
- Final Fantasy vii is released and became a huge success.
- Snake made its official debut on the Nokia 6110.
- The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time was release, it is considered one of the most critically acclaimed games of all time.
- Spyro the Dragon is released.
- Dance Dance revolution created by Konami was released. A dancing and interactive game that quickly became popular.
- Everquest was released, introducing gamers to the first ever Massive Multiplayer Online games (MMO).
- Sega Dreamcast was released and is up against PlayStation.
- Sony released PlayStation 2, this was the most popular console distributed worldwide. To this day, no console has beat the amount of sales PS2 had. Sony sold 157,680,000 units.
- Inviting more casual gamers to the gaming world, Sims is released.
- Counter-Strike is released.
- Microsoft joins in on the gaming industry and releases the first Xbox Console. Although Xbox was not as popular and didnt have as many sales as Sony, Xbox released "Halo that quickly became the most popular game of all times forcing other companies to come up with a shooting games.
- The new Gameboy is released, Gameboy Advance.
- Nintendo created and releases the “GameCube”, it came with popular games like Super Smash Brothers, Luigi’s Mansion and Mario Sunshine.
- Grand Theft Auto 3 is released.
- Runescape is released.
- Steam is created, a digital platform that distributes games and titles for pc gamers to download and play.
- A wide variety of mobile games are available to play. Mobile Gaming’s revenue goes passed 1 billion dollars.
- Call of Duty is released.
- Sony releases their handheld device, PlayStation Portable (PSP). The PSP comes with great features and high resolution graphics.
- Nintendo releases another handheld device called Nintendo DS, sales shot through the roof with 154,010,000 units sold.
- Microsoft releases and a more advanced Xbox, that is the first home gaming device to have high definition graphics. This is the Xbox 360. It also came with popular games such as Bioshock, Borderlands and Call of Duty.
- DOTA is released.
- Nintendo releases Nintendo Wii, this changes the game as its motion-sensitive remotes allow you to be more active than ever with home gaming. Nintendo brought families together and the general public that didn’t game as everyone was able to act out and play generic games such as Bowling, Tennis and Golf. Nintendo Wii has sold 101,560,000 units to date.
- PlayStation 3 is released with the new exclusive rights to the Blu-Ray technology on their system and console.
- Apple releases the iPhone, changing gaming on phones for the better.
- Rock Band gets released, it comes with a drum, guitar controllers and a microphone. Rock Band drew a whole other crowd that wanted to be more interactive and physical in gaming.
- PlayStation 3 won more game critics awards for online gaming eco system that any other platform.
- App stores hit the market.
- World of Warcraft is released and becomes the most popular game worldwide. Warcraft was said to change the social aspect of gaming.
- Farmville is released becoming one of the most popular social media games ever.
- Minecraft is released on PC and later released on console. A popular and addictive game for all gamers.
- Microsoft released a new version of the Xbox 360, called the Xbox 360 Slim or S while upgrading it with a 250 GB hard drive.
- Microsoft launches the new Nintendo 3DS, which is a handheld gaming device.
- PlayStation Vita is announced, another handheld gaming device.
- The new handheld Nintendo Wii U is released.
- The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is released, the first of many different versions to be released.
- Clash of the Clans is released.
- Rivio releases Angry Birds as a mobile game. It became so popular an animated movie was created. Forza Horizon is released.
- The Xbox One is released.
- Sony PlayStation 4 is released, with sales doubling Xbox One.
- Mobile Gaming became so big it was set to overtake console gaming in this year.
- Assassins Creed is released.
- Metal Gear Solid is released.
- Computer Game sales for the year worldwide was $32 billion.
- Uncharted is released.
- Pokemon celebrated its 20th anniversary.
- Xbox 360 is discontinued.
- The Nintendo Switch console is released.
- Microsoft released Xbox One X.
- Star Wars Battlefront II is released.
- Far Cry 5 is released.
- Call of Duty WWII is released.
- Dragon Ball FighterZ is released.